More info on the course structure and the chapters
Module 1 - The magic of Albums: expressing your intent, how to shape and express the concept, overcoming creative blocks
In this module, Daniel will go through what albums have meant for him over the years.
- Opening and closing statements.
- What you want to say as an artist.
- Pivotal moments
- The importance of cutting things out
- Using an album to show your breadth as an artist
- The importance of trusting your instincts and making last-minute decisions
- The importance of disregarding how others may perceive you and make whatever feels right in that moment
- How bad days in the studio are just as important as the good ones
- The importance of discarding ideas that are not serving you (Sensation)
- Progression within your own work. Pushing yourself beyond repetition
- The idea of a record as a time capsule/statement of intent. Using all of your own experiences to create something unique to you. Embracing your own style (Slow Fade)
- How the studio itself becomes an instrument. Atmosphere, surroundings and situation.
- How the worlds of club and ambient intersect.
- Creating a ‘wider world’ that can extend to club nights, art pieces, videos, extra releases etc
Daniel’s debut album Drone Logic will be used as the real-life case to add context for the first part and his Song For Alpha for the second part.
Module 2 - Approach to remixes: picking the right artist, respecting the material and working with your gut feelings
In this module Daniel will explain what remixes mean to him and how to approach the creation of this particular piece of music.
Focusing on my remixes for Mandy, Indiana and Confidence Man we’ll look at:
- Laying out the stems. The first step. Being ruthless
- The importance of scrapping ideas, even if you have worked on them for a long time
- Interesting ways to use vocals
- Creating elements out of unexpected things
- Making drums work for you
- The importance of not over-thinking. The importance of immediacy.
- Relationships and connections with other artists